Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Summer Sailors by Brownie Goose



My eldest daughter has just turned 8 and she is wearing a size 10 in clothes. This means she has outgrown most of the children's ranges of ready-made clothes and is into the teen clothes. I have had an awful time finding shorts that cover her butt. Most sewing patterns for children end at size 8 as well. Miss C also has my bodyshape and as she gets older it is kicking well into gear. She has a rounded bum, curvy thighs and legs, and a sway back. Unless pants are adjustable, they just don't fit her. I had the same problem as a kid and still do!! I wanted to get her some shorts that were dressy and after having no luck I found this pattern for Summer Sailors shorts from Brownie Goose.

I'm not very good at 'shopping' from my stash but this time EVERYTHING came from my supplies including the elastic.
Fabric: navy and white spotted poplin from my stash (bought a couple of years ago on sale at Spotlight)
Buttons: 6 white buttons from my mum's button jar (probably buttons from my dad's PJs years ago!!)
Bias binding: White single fold bias binding from my stash for the faux pocket detail and navy bias binding from my stash to bind the waist seam.




Bound waist seam


I am insanely happy with these shorts. The pattern was very simple but the instructions for the little details including making a flat front elasticised waistband, making the cuff loops etc were described very clearly in the instructions. And the pattern was a pdf so it was instant gratification!

I'm definitely going to make more of these. I saw a tutorial for using the same pattern to make a different look.

The pattern is sized from 3 months to 12 years which is brilliant!

Best of all, my daughter loves them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment