Monday, November 18, 2013

Fabric Shopping in Hong Kong


We spent 8 days in Hong Kong and have been back for 2 weeks now. I visited the fabric store in Jordan that I went to last year. He isn't the cheapest but he stocks lovely fabric, a lot from designer fashion houses last season's range. Jordan is next to Tsim Sha Tsui and walkable down Nathan Rd, although you can get the MTR (train). We were staying at the YMCA (we can really sing 'It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A -- ba boom tish!) so we just walked down Nathan Rd.

I visited Sham Shui Po fabric and craft area but to be honest I found it so confusing because there was SO much there. A lot of the fabric shops that have sample cards only sell wholesale or have a minimum of 10 yards and some a roll which I think was about 30 yards. You need to order the fabric and it is brought down from China, so it takes about 3-5 days. I like to get an idea of the drape and feel of fabric, so swatches is a bit difficult for me. On the streets, there are some sellers with rolls of fabric but it is pretty ad hoc and the sellers often don't speak English. Next time I'm there I hope to have time to really investigate Sham Shui Po fabric district, but with 3 children in tow and my husband working, it was difficult to do this trip.

I would estimate that the store I visit in Jordan is about half the price of similar fabrics here in Australia. It ranged from $10/yard for polyester to $20/yard for pure silk crepe. It is often 60 inches wide too. I have to think in imperial in Hong Kong instead of metric. A little confusing but I managed. I know that one yard is about 90cm. I bought 3 yards for slouchy pants and dresses, 2 yards for blouses or skirts. If I have leftover fabric, my girls are always keen for new clothes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment